Tailoring in Everquest is used to craft Cloth and Leather armor for those who can use it throughout the game. Most of the modern day armor it crafts is basic Prestige gear when they take the time to raise the level cap. There's some other general rewards it has here and there that are decent. Regardless of its rewards raising it is required for other goodies like Artisan's Prize.
I also strongly recommend that you consider using a Draught of the Craftsman for this process. It's a potion you can purchase from the Daybreak store that gives you a 100% chance to return all failed Tradeskill components back to you. This will greatly reduce the overall cost of leveling the Tradeskill.
Before you get started with Tailoring I strongly recommend you stop early on between 50 - 99 and do your Tailoring Trophy Quest. It's easiest to do during these early levels of the Tradeskill and if you're going to take the Tradeskill seriously it'll be best to get it out of the way now.
Alternative Route: If Befouled Animal Pelts, Exotic Animal Pelts, are cheaper on your server I recommend you use my Rain of Fear Tailoring Guide.
Alternative Route: If Fantastic Animal Pelts and/or Fantastic Silk are cheaper on your server I recommend you use my House of Thule Tailoring Guide.
Alternative Route: If Exquisite Animal Pelts, Immaculate Animal Pelts or Immaculate Silk & Exquisite Silk are cheaper on your server I recommend you use my Seeds of Destruction Tailoring Guide.
Alternative Route: If Flawless Animal Pelts and Flawless Silk are cheaper on your server I recommend you use my Secrets of Faydwer Tailoring Guide.
Alternative Route: If Superb Animal Pelts and Superb Silk are cheaper on your server I recommend you use my The Serpent's Spine Tailoring Guide.
Alternative Route: If Excellent Silk and Natural Silk is cheaper on your server I recommend you use my Dragons of Norrath Tailoring Guide.
Befouled Hilt Wrap 1 - 282
Vendor all of the Befouled Hilt Wraps that you make from doing this. They aren't used for any recipes that are actually worth making, not even recipes required for 350 of a Tradeskill.
Befouled Animal Pelt
Hickory Handled Shears
Exotic Hilt Wrap 1 - 282
This is an alternative route to the Befouled Hilt Wraps. If Exotic Pelts are cheaper for you then go this route. They aren't used for any recipes that are actually worth making, not even recipes required for 350 of a Tradeskill.
Exotic Animal Pelt
Hickory Handled Shears
Unexpanded Tailored Transcendent Backpack (524 Trivial)
These Backpacks are one of the best items you can purchase for your characters to fill inventory slots. You only have to complete a short 'quest' to expand the bag at which point it'll be 20 slots with 100% weight reduction. The only downside to following this route is how costly it is to make these backpacks.
You can sell these Backpacks in The Bazaar to make back all the money you spend on them (unless you fail a lot). I'd highly recommend that you only follow this route if you use a Draught of the Craftsman. That'll let you make as many of these as you can without suffering any loss from failures.
Befouled Animal Pelt
Tailored Backpack Pattern
- After the Gates of Discord expansion pack goes live there's an alternative method to raising every Tradeskill in the game to 54. I believe these quests to be a waste of time, however, they teach you recipes that can't be learned anywhere else and for that reason must be done at least once to reach 350 Smithing. If you're interested in learning more about the GoD Tradeskill Quests then follow the link provided.
- If you choose to use a Draught of the Craftsman you'll have enough juice to max out two Tradeskills usually. So come prepared with a lot of materials before popping a pot!
- You will need 1,500 - 3,000 Animal Pelts to get from 1 - 300.
- If you don't see any materials that you need listed in The Bazaar setup a Buyer on a day when you don't plan on playing much to buy the items you need. Mention in general chat what you're buying (and even pay double what the other barters ask to get peoples attention if you want). Maybe someone who is killing in the zones and reading general will offload their loot to you.
- Aside from the uses mentioned above it's useful for every player to max out all of their Tradeskills for tangible useful benefits. You can only acquire things like Artisan's Prize and Sacred Prayer Shawl of the Duke from maxing out your Tradeskills. Those of you whom are wondering if this is all even worth it, well now you know.
- Under "General" in the AA window get the Salvage AA as soon as you possibly can, preferably before you start raising all of your Tradeskills. It'll save you a lot of plat.
- As aforementioned every Tradeskill has a Trophy. Here is a list of all 6 quests for the Tailoring Trophy.