Smithing in Everquest is used for crafting gear for plate and chain users throughout the game. Modern day it's mostly used for crafting basic Prestige gear when they raise the level cap. It has some better rewards here and there but overall.... meh. The route I have chosen for leveling Smithing may not be too costly depending on your server.
I also strongly recommend that you consider using a Draught of the Craftsman for this process. It's a potion you can purchase from the Daybreak store that gives you a 100% chance to return all failed Tradeskill components back to you. This will greatly reduce the overall cost of leveling the Tradeskill.
Before you go gung ho and start Smithing up a storm - I recommend you stop at 50 - 99 Smithing and complete the Smithing Trophy Quest if you plan to take this Tradeskill stuff seriously! It isn't required you do it now but it'll save you mucho time later on if you take some time to finish it in the early levels of your Tradeskill.
Alternative Route: If Tungsten Ore, Rhenium Ore and Indium Ore is cheaper on your server check out my DoN Smithing Guide for an alternative route.
Alternative Route: If Cobalt and Tungsten Ore is cheaper on your server check out my TSS Smithing Guide for an alternative route.
Alternative Route: If Titanium Ore is cheaper on your server I recommend you use my SoF Smithing Guide for a cheaper alternative route.
Alternative Route: If Tantalum Ore and Vanadium Ore are cheaper on your server I recommend my SoD Smithing Guide for an alternative route.
Osmium Studs (282 Trivial)
I'd recommend that you vendor all of these that you make as the recipes they're used in aren't worth your time. There are easier ways to raise your Tradeskills.
1 Osmium Ore
Osmium Plate Bracer Template (488 Trivial)
The only item for this combine that can't be purchased from a vendor is Indium Ore. Instead, Osmium Ore drops off humanoid type enemies between the levels of 45 - 65. All of the Plate Bracers Templates that you make through this combine you'll probably just want to vendor.
1 Osmium Ore
- After the Gates of Discord expansion pack goes live there's an alternative method to raising every Tradeskill in the game to 54. I believe these quests to be a waste of time, however, they teach you recipes that can't be learned anywhere else and for that reason must be done at least once to reach 350 Smithing. If you're interested in learning more about the GoD Tradeskill Quests then follow the link provided.
- If you choose to use a Draught of the Craftsman you'll have enough juice to max out two Tradeskills usually. So come prepared with a lot of materials before popping a pot!
- If you don't see any materials that you need listed in The Bazaar setup a Buyer on a day when you don't plan on playing much to buy the items you need. Mention in general chat what you're buying (and even pay double what the other barters ask to get peoples attention if you want). Maybe someone who is killing in the zones and reading general will offload their loot to you.
- Aside from the uses mentioned above it's useful for every player to max out all of their Tradeskills for tangible useful benefits. You can only acquire things like Artisan's Prize and Sacred Prayer Shawl of the Duke from maxing out your Tradeskills. Those of you whom are wondering if this is all even worth it, well now you know.
- Under "General" in the AA window get the Salvage AA as soon as you possibly can, preferably before you start raising all of your Tradeskills. It'll save you a lot of plat.
- As aforementioned every Tradeskill has a Trophy. Here is a list of all 6 quests for the Smithing Trophy.